This is a question on a lot of minds this season.
I don't see any problems at the upper levels, NASCAR still sells out each Sundays races. This mainly effects the local racer who just races for fun.
I hear talk from some who normally race 2 or 3 times a week now deciding which 1 track they will race at this season. Probably the track closest to home. Gas is a big factor in this decision, but remember everything else local races have to spend money on every week: repairs, pit passes, food, drinks, etc.
Also will the gas prices effect fans when they decide what races they will drive to just to watch?
There are a lot of great local races going on each season that are driving distance from me. I always make some trips on Sundays to watch races at Benton County Speedway in Vinton. I love to hit at least 1 big dirt late model race at either Farley Speedway or Davenport Speedway. Now on that line, Knoxville Late Model Nationals in September are a must. At least 1 trip to the Iowa Speedway in Newton, and the grand daddy of all....... we have to make our annual trip to the Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio for the Late Model Dream 100 in June. (Gives me a chance to catch up with Larry Kemp also!)
Now for me the gas prices don't effect these trips to the races because these trips are made in a group so we can split the cost of gas, making it very affordable to travel. This also makes these trips a lot of fun considering the great group we travel with.
As fans, I recommend carpooling to as many races as you can.
As racers, I recommend picking the track you have the most fun at, that has treated you the best, and support that track in these tougher times.
Above all else, Support Local Racing!
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment