Monday, April 21, 2008

Finally I Got To See LIVE Racing!

Well last night I made it to my first race of the season!

After the depressing last minute cancellation of Benton County Speedway, I realized that the Spring Championships at West Liberty Raceway that were canceled Saturday night was rescheduled for Sunday!

After a quick call to Big House, we were in the Tahoe heading down I80!

We arrived to the fairgrounds around 5:30 to be surprised that the parking lot was not as full as usual. Not a big surprise for the first race of the season.

One thing we noticed while walking to the gate was that we heard no cars hot lapping. Odd yes but not as odd as the fact that Simmons Promotions Inc. now charges tax on their ticket prices. Adults $13.90, Seniors $10.70 and Students (13-18) $7.50. Now why wouldn't they just leave them at an even amount & figure tax in that!

Enough of my rambling on that, lets get to the racing! Hot laps were delayed around an hour as the track was still being worked on, also not a big surprise considering all the rain we had lately.

For the most part the racing went real well until they got to the modifieds! Now call me silly but if you have a race that starts with 24 cars and ends with 8, has the world record number of cautions on a Sunday night that started over an hour late....... you should shorten that race! Not to mention the long delay cleaning up after a roll over, Daykota Hayden rolled his mod in turn 3 but was OK.

Now when I say it is crazy not to shorten this feature, worse yet they did shorten the late model race by 10 laps! Now that makes no sense to me!

Well here are the results as I remember them:
Stock Cars : #15 Lugnut Collins
Mods: #19 Richie Gustin (took so long I was in restroom at finish)
Flyers: #74 Jeff Miller (said his first win in 6 years of racing)
Late Model: #56 Andy Eckrich
Limited Late Model: #29 Bruce Miller (Sorry we left before this one started, the night ran to long!)

All in all, we were glad to get to see some races, FINALLY! I guess you have to expect some bugs for the first race!

0 comments:

 

track traffic
improve health