Monday, June 9, 2008

What A Dream Weekend!

We made the trip to Eldora Speedway again this year for the Dirt Late Model Dream 100. The bad part was the 8 hour drive each way but that was the only part of the weekend that was bad!

There was some rain in the mix but that didn't end up messing things up too bad. Friday a small storm rolled in & caused qualifying to be started over & shortened to only one round, but that was not a big deal.

Saturday had a lot of rain that caused us to find other entertainment. We took a turn off State Route 118 on to Hwy 55 - McFeely-Petry Rd in search of the 1 mile dirt track started by Earl Baltes in the 70's. 1/2 mile down the road we spotted a strange looking hill running in a circular motion. With umbrellas in hand Jeff Selfride and I ran through the waist high rain soaked switch grass up the embankment to see what was over the other side. Sure enough, when we reached the top of the hill we could see the track cut into the feild. What a site to see! (Not to start any rumors but there was fresh earth mover tracks under the switch grass!)

After the hour we spent in a Greenville laundromat drying our clothes and shoes, we headed back to the motel for some cornhole beanbag toss in the hallway. This was a great way to kill time waiting to see if the races would start on time. Even with all the rain, the track was ready to race only about 1/2 hour late!

The racing was the best I seen in a while! The field was filled with the best of the best as well as some new comers in the mix to try their hands at the Dream. Scott Bloomquist came out on top for his 5th Dream 100 win. For complete results check www.RacingInIowa.com.

Tony Stewart presented a bronze statue of Earl & Bernice Baltes that will be forever on display right inside the entrance to the grandstand. He also announced that there will be a new race held annually at the track called the Baltes Classic. Should be a great event as it sounds!

The best part of the weekend came after the cars where parked and most all the fans had piled out of the grandstands. I spotted Larry Kemp sitting in the VIP booth with the likes of Ms. Eldora speedway and Many of the Baltes family who came to see the statue presentation.

As I tapped the glass to get his attention, Larry waved me to the window and slid open the screen. After some time of reminiscing I asked what would be the chance of him getting Earl to sign his book that I purchased in vendor row. Larry told me to come around back to the door and come in so I could get it myself. Once inside there he was upturned hat bill and a huge smile on his face. I introduced myself and asked for the autograph. The whole time he was going on about how much Tony must have paid for the bronze statue. He said he couldn't believe anyone would spend that kind of money to make a likeness of him!

Earl thanked me for being a fan and said how greatfull he was for all of the fans that keep this Dream alive. I thanked him for making it all possible and shook his hand telling him I couldn't wait until next year when I could see the statue out front!

That was the perfect ending to a perfect racing weekend!

0 comments:

 

track traffic
improve health